Sunday, July 10, 2011

My Inaugural Address

            Hello there! I'm assuming if you're reading this that you know me, but on the off chance that I'm wrong here is a minor introduction:
            My name is Caitlin McCann, I'm a 21 year-old senior studying at Ohio Northern University, and I'm majoring in creative writing.
           There, short and sweet.
            Now for the next six weeks I will be studying at Cambridge University in England. I started this blog as a way for me to keep my family and friends updated on my experiences. So far I've completed one leg of my journey, which entailed leaving my hometown of St. Louis, Missouri to venture out to Columbus, Ohio. In case you were wondering, the airfare was cheaper if I left from Columbus.  I don't actually leave for England until tomorrow (or today technically since it's one in the morning).
            At the moment I'm feeling what can best be described as "little kid at Christmas" syndrome; that anxious and excited state that comes from not knowing what goodies tomorrow will bring. I've spent so much time thinking about this summer program, and now that it's finally here I can't sleep. The perfect time to set up a blog, right?
            What I actually know about my program is semi-limited. I know I'll be taking two classes, one on 20th century poetry and one on travel writing. I know that there are events planned for my future, like a trip to Edinburgh, Scotland or taking in a play at the Globe. I also know rain boots are a valued article of clothing. But beyond that, I don't know much. I'll just have to figure it all out when I get there, and I'll do my best to keep you posted (Ha ha posted, get it? Cause it's a blog post. It's probably the late hour that's got me feeling so clever).
            Ah well, to bed!

2 comments:

  1. Hey lady! I know exactly how you are feeling and it will probably take the whole six weeks just for it to sink it that you're actually there! Of all the things I could recommend from my 3 months in England, I would most like to tell you 2 things:

    1. Visit Canterbury. Besides the beautiful cathedral and seeing where Samuel Beckett became a martyr (think Canterbury Tales), this town had the ability to make me feel at home the moment I set foot in it. The walking only cobblestone high street is an image I will never forget, along with the sounds of a man playing his guitar and singing into a mic that echoed between the buildings. I bought his CD for 5 GBP out of his guitar case :) Also take a hand-rowed boat tour under some of the oldest bridges you'll ever see. Amazing amazing amazing.

    2. Put down your camera once in awhile. It is easy to take 20 pictures of the same thing to show people back home, but you'll never capture it quite right. I wish I had seen some things more without the frame of my 2 x 3 inch camera screen. Sit back and soak it all in.

    I love you and miss you and have a totally LUSH time! Eat some crumpets and drink some Strongbow for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks darling! We've already got a trip to Canterbury planned and the cathedral is definitely on my list of things to see! I really appreciate the advice though I haven't been taking quite as many pictures just yet. I need to get better at that at the moment actually. Hope you're doing well in South Carolina.

    Love!

    ReplyDelete